2012 proved to be an awesome music year for me. I was able to cover over 85 events with over 300 acts. This was a year that featured many old favorites, a few of which were on my photo bucket list such as Roger Waters, Van Halen, Leon Russell,and Doors Keyboardist Ray Manzarek. I was proud to have a gallery of my photos at The Louisville Science Center Guitar Exhibit.
I got a much desired second opportunity at Bruce Springsteen and Jimmy Buffett and a third at KISS!
I want to thank my media sources for allowing me to get credentialed and all the great publicist who make this possible.
Special thanks to the great staffs and companies who bring the music to us. Productions Simple, WFPK Radio, Live Nation, AC Entertainment , Horseshoe Entertainment and The Kentucky Center to name a few.
We are so lucky to have fanatstic venues like The Louisville Palace, Kentucky Center For The Arts, Headliners Music Hall, KFC Yum Center, Iroquois Amphitheater, The Brown Theater and more who consider it important to provide us with quality entertainment.
Please continue to support these companies and venues in 2013!
Well here are my favorites of 2012. I apologize in advance for the lack of Country, and Rap. But these are my favorite memories of a great year in music!
The Best Shows (I attended)
- Roger Waters -The Wall , KFC Yum Center
- Bruce Springsteen – The Wrecking Ball Tour, KFC Yum Center
- Mumford and Sons/ Dawes-Louisville Waterfront
- Crosby, Stills, and Nash- Riverbend Cinn, OH
- My Morning Jacket- Forecastle Festival
- Allman Brothers Band – Wanee Music Festival, Live Oak Florida
- Sleigh Bells- Forecastle
- ZZ Top – The Louisville Palace
- Radiohead – Bonnaroo
- Dr Dog- Headliners Music Hall/Forecastle
- Tedeschi Trucks Band- Iroquois Amphitheater
- Gov’t Mule/Dr John- Iroquois Amphitheater
- Heartless Bastards- Headliners Music Hall
- Jackson Browne- Ky Center for The Arts
- Rush- Bankers Life Field house Indianapolis In
- Wilco- Forecastle
- Kiss/ Motley Crue- KFC Yum Center&Riverbend Cinn, OH
- Charles Bradley- Headliners Music Hall, Bonnaroo, ForeCastle
- Van Halen- KFC Yum Center
- Rod Stewart–Riverbend Cinn, OH
- Leon Russell-Headliners Music Hall
- Civil Wars- The Brown Theater
- Jimmy Buffett-KFC Yum Center
- The Moody Blues- Horseshoe Casino Southern Indiana
- Trigger Hippy- Wanee Music Festival, Live Oak Florida
- Journey- Kentucky State Fair
- Santigold- Bonnaroo
- Gary Clarke Jr-Bonnaroo
- Lady Antebellum – Henryville Prom Special Concert
More Great Shows of 2012
1.Houndmouth- Headliners Music Hall (One of the best surprises of the year)
- Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros
- Mickey Hart Headliners Music Hall- Iroquois Amphitheater
- Rick Derringer, Gregg Foresman and Gregg Martin- Louisville Science Center
- Bobby Keys- Headliners Music Hall
- Matt Schofield -Wanee Music Festival, Live Oak Florida
- Jane Addiction- The Louisville Palace
- Beats Antique- Forecastle
- Jeff The Brotherhood- Forecastle
- Larry and The Flask/God Damn Gallows Headliners Music Hall
- Dianna Ross- The Louisville Palace
- Bruce Hornsby -Wanee Music Festival, Live Oak Florida
- Fiona Apple The Louisville Palace
- Faces At The Palace Series
Best Festival 2012
- Wanee Music Festival
Shows I wish I could have seen in 2012
Rolling Stones New Jersey
Concert For Sandy Victims
Pearl Jam (anywhere)
Black Sabbath at Lollapalooza
Favorite Releases in 2012
- Jack White- “Blunderbuss”
- Heartless Bastards- “Arrow”
- Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros- “Here”
- Mumford and Sons -”Babel”
- Neil Young and Crazy Horse-” Psychedelic Pill”
- Gary Clarke Jr- “ Blak and Blu”
- ZZ Top- “La Futura”
- Dr Dog
- Rush “ Clockwork Angels”
- Led Zeppelin “Celebration Day”
- Bruce Springsteen -”The Wrecking Ball”
- Dr John- “ Locked Down”
- Band Of Horses-” Mirage Rock”
- Alabama Shakes -”Boys & Girls”
- Black Country Communion- “ Afterglow”
Best New Music Books of 2012
Peter Criss- “ Make up To Break Up”
Pete Townsend – “ Who Am I”
Neil Young – “Waging War”
Zoso- Jimmy Page (Genesis Publications)
“Man Who Sold The World” David Bowie in the 70’s- Peter Doggett
“Mr Fantasy”- The Lyrics of Jim Capaldi- Genesis Publications
SOUND CITY–REAL TO REEL
ALL-NEW ORIGINAL ALBUM OF MUSIC CREATED EXCLUSIVELY FOR DAVE GROHL’S DIRECTORIAL DEBUT
FILM AND ALBUM BOTH AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER ON iTUNES http://bit.ly/SoundCityiTunes
First Single “Cut Me Some Slack” By Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear Available As Instant Grat Download With All Pre-Orders
SOUND CITY–REAL TO REEL, the companion album to the Dave Grohl-directed SOUND CITY feature length documentary premiering at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, is now available for pre-order along with SOUND CITY the film at iTunes at http://bit.ly/SoundCityiTunes . All pre-orders for the album, due out March 12, 2013 on Roswell Records, will immediately receive first single “Cut Me Some Slack”–the original studio recording of the track performed by Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear at the historical 12-12-12 benefit as well as on this weekend’s Saturday Night Live holiday episode.
SOUND CITY, the film, was conceived by Grohl after purchasing the legendary custom-built Neve 8028 recording console from Sound City Studios last year. The board, built in 1972, is considered by many to be the crown jewel of analog recording equipment, having recorded such artists as Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Guns and Roses, Metallica, NIN, Rage Against The Machine and countless other musical legends over the past 40 years.
SOUND CITY–REAL TO REEL is a brand new collection of all-new all-original songs, each one composed and recorded exclusively for the film within its own 24-hour session on that console after it was reinstalled in Grohl and his Foo Fighters’ own 606 Studios. The new tracks–featuring an amazing and idiosyncratic cast of collaborators including Paul McCartney, Grohl’s former Nirvana and current Foo Fighters bandmates, Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, Trent Reznor, Joshua Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, Lee Ving of Fear, Corey Taylor of Slipknot, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford of Rage Against The Machine and more–passionately exemplify SOUND CITY’s celebration of the human element of musicianship and recording in an increasingly digital world.
Following its Sundance 2013 premiere, SOUND CITY will also be released as an HD digital download and stream February 1 via www.soundcitymovie.com. Fans who pre-order the film now will receive instant exclusive rewards followed by a stream and download of the entire film on February 1. The film will also be released theatrically, in association with Variance Films, on February 1. A list of cities and theaters will be announced shortly.
Grohl’s personal connection to Sound City began with the 1991 recording of Nirvana’s breakthrough album, Nevermind. Selling over 30 million copies worldwide, Nevermind changed the entire musical landscape and forever altered the course of Dave Grohl’s life.
Roswell Films, a division of the Roswell Records label that releases Foo Fighters music, will distribute the film. Key personnel involved with the film include Producer/Director Dave Grohl; Editor Paul Crowder (Dogtown & Z Boys, Once In a Lifetime, Riding Giants); and Writer Mark Monroe (The Cove, Once In a Lifetime, The Tillman Story). The film is also being produced in conjunction with Jim Rota, John Ramsay, and Therapy studios.
SOUND CITY–REAL TO REAL
TRACK LISTING AND CREDITS
1. Heaven And All – Robert Levon Been, Dave Grohl, Peter Hayes
2. Time Slowing Down – Chris Goss, Tim Commerford, Dave Grohl, Brad Wilk
3. You Can’t Fix This – Stevie Nicks, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Rami Jaffee
4. The Man That Never Was – Rick Springfield, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear
5. Your Wife Is Calling – Lee Ving, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Alain Johannes, Pat Smear
6. From Can To Can’t – Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen, Scott Reeder
7. Centipede – Joshua Homme, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, , Alain Johannes
8. A Trick With No Sleeve – Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme
9. Cut Me Some Slack – Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear
10. Once Upon A Time… The End – Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Rami Jaffee, Jim Keltner
11. Mantra – Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, Trent Reznor
GARY CLARK JR. WRAPS UP INCREDIBLE YEAR BY JOINING THE ROLLING STONES ONSTAGE IN BROOKLYN THIS SATURDAY
Yes are an English rock band who achieved worldwide success with their progressive, art, and symphonic style of rock music. Regarded as one of the pioneers of the progressive genre, Yes are known for their lengthy songs, mystical lyrics, elaborate album art, and live stage sets. No fewer than 18 musicians have been a part of the band’s line-up, with its current form comprising singer Jon Davison, bassist Chris Squire, guitarist Steve Howe, drummer Alan White, and keyboardist Geoff Downes.
Daughtry & 3 Doors Down
Saturday, Feb 2, 2013
Los Angeles, CA – December 10, 2012 – Multi-platinum rock bands Daughtry and 3 Doors Down have announced plans to continue their joint co-headline tour into 2013. The excursion began November 17 in Tunica, MS at 3 Doors Down’s 9th Annual Better Life Foundation event, and night after night has attracted packed houses in venues across The U.S.. Leg one of the tour will wrap on 12/15 at Anaheim’s Theatre at the Honda Center, with Fresno, CA at the Save Mart Center on 12/13 and a national live AXS TV appearances in Broomfield, CO at 1st Bank Center on 12/11.
The first ever co-headline U.S. tour will resume on January 25th at the Verizon Theatre in Dallas, and continue in to March, 2013. The opening act will be Aranda.
“We’re very happy to continue the tour with 3 Doors Down, and look forward to getting this show to the fans that we missed on the first leg of this tour!” says lead singer Chris Daughtry. 3 Doors Down singer Brad Arnold shares, “This tour with Daughtry has been amazing, and we are excited to keep it rolling into 2013! See you on the road my friends!”
Daughtry’s set features the band’s new single “Start of Something Good,” from their new gold certified album Break The Spell along with a plethora of smash hits and fan favorites including “Home,” “It’s Not Over,” “Feels Like Tonight” and “No Surprise” from platinum-selling Leave This Town and its blockbuster-selling and record-breaking self titled debut. 3 Doors Down has just released the quintet’s first ever Greatest Hits package, and the band’s set brings repertoire from their nine #1 chart-toppers to the stage, including “Kryptonite,” “It’s Not My Time,” “When I’m Gone, “Here Without You” alongside others and new tracks “One Light” and “Goodbyes.” The band’s lead single from The Greatest Hits “One Light” has hit the Top 15 at Active Rock radio and continues to make strong moves at the format.
GARY CLARK JR. PERFORMANCE AT 35TH ANNUAL KENNEDY CENTER HONORS TO BE BROADCAST AS A TWO-HOUR PRIMETIME SPECIAL ON CBS DECEMBER 26TH AT 9 PM (ET/PT)
The highly popular 2013 Wanee Music Festival, held April 18th to 20th at Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park in Live Oak, FL, is putting Early Bird Tickets on sale Monday, December 10th at 10AM. 3-Day General Admission Tickets, which include primitive camping, are just $175.00 (plus applicable fees) and will be available through waneefestival.com and Music Today. They are only on sale through Saturday, December 15th however the supply is limited so get them quick because they will most likely sell out before the December 15th cut off! Please note that the Early Bird sale is for General Admission 3-Day Tickets only!
The Line-up for the 2013 Wanee Music Festival will be one of the most exciting yet! The group of star-studded acts joining The Allman Brothers Band April 18th through the 20th will add energy and excitement to what is fast becoming one of the most popular festivals in the country.
For more information go to www.waneefestival.com
George Jones did show up at Horseshoe Casino Southern Indiana on Saturday as part of his “Grand Tour”, his final tour of his 50 year road career.
It was a bittersweet night for the sold out audience. Jone’s the #2 best-charting country artist of all time, with a staggering list of hit singles in every decade since the ’50s. The Beaumont, Texas native also has 143 Top 40 hits to his name, has received two Grammy Awards, was a 2008 Kennedy Center Honor recipient, is a Country Music Hall of Fame inductee, was presented with a GRAMMY® Lifetime Achievement Award this year and holds a National Medal of Arts. At 80, Jones continues to be an active country music superstar, headlining dozens of concerts each year.
The night began with four songs by the Jones Boys, the country legend was introduced ” George is not feeling so well but he is here to give you his all”.
A weak 81 one year old, Jones took the stage to loud cheers and sang his greatest hits with great effort. His voice was very weak but there were short periods of strength during a few of his songs. This was a night that the man famous for not showing up at shows over the years, gave it his all. He labored to keep his breath at times, and had to work hard to provide his fans with this show. There were times that the audience encouragement was louder than Jones himself.
His solid backing band kept the pace going while an appreciative Jones did his best to smile thank his fans and make the best of his condition.
It did not seem to faze the loyal audience who cheered him on throughout the night. It was clear the love they had for a legend who provide some many memories through the years.
For the most part the show was very good if you could overlook the struggles the legend had to deal with his health.